Microbreweries, Cake and Chocolate
Grown up Cupcakes
The cupcake flavour that is requested most often after traditional Madagascan vanilla is Chocolate & Guinness - it’s deep flavours are more sophisticated than a double chocolate one.
Being based in the High Peak area; we are lucky enough to be surrounded by many local breweries so when the opportunity arose to bake with beer from Macclesfield & Buxton based Red Willow Brewery I jumped at the challenge and began adapting my recipe.
Based on the Chocolate and Guinness cupcake recipe, but with some changes to let the flavours compliment and be reflective of this beer.
I think this is a delicious cupcake, not as sweet as some flavour combinations - a bit “grown up”!
The beer used is the Red Willow SMOKELESS: SMOKED PORTER; which promises “A surprisingly approachable smoked porter, infused with chipotle; velvet smooth with a robust hint of heat “ - the description makes me want to add it to many other recipes….Chilli Con Carne for dinner tonight based on this!
Stout & Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
40g Dark Belgian Chocolate (I use Callebaut)
1 large Free-Range Egg
100g golden Caster Sugar
100ml Porter or Stout
10g Good Quality Cocoa Powder
100g Plain Flour
1tsp baking powder
300g icing sugar
approx. 1tbsp Porter
1) Melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl over simmering water, leave on the side until cool to the touch
2) Whisk the egg, then add the sugar. Beat until a pale colour.
3) Slowly add the cooled chocolate mixture
4) Stir in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder
5) Divide between 10 cupcake cases, and bake for 20 mins at 150 degrees centigrade.
6) Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, beat the butter and icing sugar together, adding the porter to taste.
7) Pipe or spoon the buttercream on top of the Cupcakes and decorate however you wish
Are there any flavour combinations you would like us to test and post a recipe for? We would love to know, send us a message and maybe it will feature in a future blog.
If you bake this recipe, we would love to see your delicious cakes; tag us on social media!